Spanish Cucumbers, and English Hydroponics.

I don't want to make light of the terrible events in Germany concerning the E-Coli outbreak, but I do think a little acidic evaluation is necessary.

What would you rather eat?

An English cucumber, grown under glass, in a bug free environment, with artifical mineral nutrient fertilizer, using soil-less Hydroponics?

Or a Spanish "Organic" cucumber grown "naturally" in the ground and regularly sprayed with a mix of piss and cow shit.

I understand E-Coli is only spread by "faecal matter" (i.e. cow shit). As I tend to be a bit squeamish about eating faecal matter I would tend to go for the untrendy, Oh-so-unnatural English cucumber.

I might well miss out on that little extra taste added by the fresh cow doo-da, but that is just one of my many failings.

As it is, I find I have to eat enough shit from  those who rule over us, so missing out on that little extra something, and avoiding E-Coli as well seems OK by me.

Of course I could alternatively go for some condemned Japanese Spinach, which committed the crime of being grown near Fukishima. Condemned it may well have been. But (even mildy) radioactive it was not.

Would I rather a plateful of hysterically denounced Fukishima "Glow in the dark" spinach or a bovine excreta flavoured cucumber?

Hmmm, I think it would have to be Popeye's choice food for me.

How about you?

2 comments:

StockPair отзывы said...

Мая считать, что всё должно быть в меру. Если не перебарщивать с нитратами, то тепличные огурцы будут ничем не хуже органических, выращенных с помощью "дерьмо корова"))

BilloTheWisp said...

For those who cannot read Russian the above translates as follows:

[May assume that everything should be in moderation. If you do not overdo it with nitrates, the greenhouse cucumbers will be no worse than the organic, grown with the help of cow shit]

While I like the conciliatory nature of this comment, personally my view is that what is (laughably and pretentiously) labelled as "Organic" is invariably poorer in quality, less safe to consume and more costly than food produced using science as its base.