Billothewisps posts by Topic

The SDP, Visibility and Popularity.

 As Baldwrick used to say: I have a Cunning Plan.

But Let’s start at the beginning. I’ll ramble through my history with the SDP so you can see where I’m coming from. This post is unlikely to be of interest to anyone not in the SDP or not affiliated to their world view. Sorry this is a bit long. You can skim/skip down to the last third if you like. Just make sure to look at the underlined statements on the way – they are crucial though repetitive.

I have now been a member of the SDP three times. 

The first time I joined was in 2018 when the whole of the establishment was hell bent on overturning Brexit. 

I, along with most of the country was outraged. I needed a political vehicle that not only honoured the result of the greatest democratic decision ever made in the UK, but also a party that held dear many of the  beliefs and goals for this country that I held (and hold) dear too.

So I joined. But I didn’t know what to do.

Sure, I shouted into the void on Twitter and published blog posts favourable to the SDP. That sort of thing. But that was it.

Standing as a candidate either locally or nationally was really not an option for me. I think you have to be a special sort of person to put yourself out there like that. That type of person (and I suspect most other members of the SDP) is not me.

Then I watched one of heroes (the sadly departed Patrick O’Flynn) stand and lose  the Peterborough by-election and gain just 135 votes. That’s THE Patrick O’Flynn.

Intellectually, practically and capability-wise Patrick stood head and shoulders over the rest of the candidates. They were political pygmies in the presence of a giant. It should have been a shoe-in.

I was shocked and horrified. If he couldn’t make a difference, what hope was there for me?

There came a point where I lost focus and hope of making any useful change. 

All because I did not know what to do. In despair I left.

I abandoned Twitter for well over a year and and my blogspot (once quite popular locally and occasionally nationally) fell into disuse.

But something rankled. The country staggered on. Nothing was getting better and when looking at the legacy parties it was pretty obvious nothing ever would.

Reform exploded onto the scene and I was sorely tempted to join. But I am not a Thatcherite. I find Farage difficult. Though to be fair I admire and respect what he has achieved, especially with Brexit. But Reform was not for me.

So I rejoined the SDP.

But, I still did not know what to do.

In despair of finding a way of making a difference I left a second time in early 2025 shortly before the death of Patrick O’Flynn.

I gave up most activity. But continued now and then, on X. 

As a country we staggered on. Starmer came and went. And good riddance. 

Burnham arrived with a lot of razzamatazz but nothing else. 

The current Labour Cabinet remains a mix of the incompetent, assorted wide boys (and girls) and convicted fraudsters. 

God Help Us All.

Then William Clouston, the leader of the SDP stood in the Clacton (aka Farage) by-election in August 2026. There were also (besides Farage) 32 other candidates. Yet nobody stood from the Legacy parties. 

They knew they’d lose (and badly) so they refused to put up candidates. 

A shocking insult to the people of Clacton maybe. But worse, these cowards then backed a wrecking candidate – a former comedy script writer from the BBC (surprise, surprise) dressed as bin. 

The MSM made absolutely certain only the sneering metropolitan elitist snob dressed as a bin got any publicity.

Farage won hands down. In fact he increased his vote count. A feat no other sitting MP has ever done before on mainland UK when having to face a by-election.

William got 256 votes.

Again, it was just like with Patrick O’Flynn in Peterborough. The guy who was far, far, above any of the other contenders (Farage excepted) got buried in the noise.

I was no longer a member of the SDP. I had no wish to join any other political party. 

I still didn’t know what to do.

But this time I thought about it for a while.

OK. I did not want to stand for election or campaign in the traditional sense. I am (or at least think I would be) hopeless at that. 

I realised that this would probably be true for 90% of the membership of the SDP. (Or any other political party for that matter)

So if I found a way forward for me, maybe it would be a way ahead not just for me but for many others too. Something that <might> increase the visibility and elect-ability of the SDP. Especially at local council level. 

I’ve poked it about, worked on it, beaten it about, despaired over it, and agonised over it.  Now I think I have possibly found a practical and worthwhile way ahead for me and maybe for the other 90% passive members too. 

It is also something that will fit only with a small dynamic party like the SDP. Larger parties would find this far too difficult to manage.

Is it worthwhile? Will it work? I hope so. But only time will tell.

It initially involves quite heavy use of AI (in a totally legitimate way) but that is just done once. The output is what is used by the members and will suit all those other people like me who feel uncomfortable about standing for election or face to face campaigning. So it (should) have a ready and under-utilised work-force.

I am sure most party members (just like me) would still be happy to spend an hour or two every now and then doing something constructive and helpful for communities across the country. 

Something that can be targeted, done and ended with no continual commitment.

I’ve rejoined the SDP (for a third time). The SDP is at this moment in a state of flux as William has resigned and a new leader is to be elected. 

But I’ll pitch my idea here. Show what it entails and show how it works. I would deeply appreciate any/all comments on this or the next posts from those within the SDP. 

If nobody is interested or they laugh at my idea or find a serious flaw with it, well, fair enough. 

I am realistic enough to know that it may be just my over-enthusiasm. 

So what is it this low commitment high political value activity?

Watch this space. (In fact I just published it HERE)

Then maybe, if it’s viable and appreciated, and you are not a member  -join the SDP! and watch it develop (and work on it) there.


No comments: